commas and cedillasModificare
(messages copied here from en.wiktionary.org)
Hello. If you ever want help to move Romanian entries from cedillas to commas in ro.wiktionary, let me know. I've got a script that can do the job. --flyax 00:11, 2 March 2011 (UTC)
- Hi Flyax,
- Sorry for my delayed response. Thank you for your offer concerning the Romanian script. I really appreciate it!
- I haven't decided yet what to do. I prefer the cedilla version myself, but if the opinion switches then I'll be forced to follow the new standards. The Romanian Wiktionary is currently (and unfortunately) quite dead, so we'll see how things progress. I'll let you know when that day comes and hopefully you'll still want to help me.
- However, if you have the time to teach me how to use scripts (I suck at computers), I would be honoured to have you as a teacher :-)
- Best regards,
- --Robbie SWE 21:37, 3 March 2011 (UTC)
- Hi again,
- Sorry for yet another delayed response. It seems that I've lost the vote (ah well...) - I'm just waiting for confirmation from Prince Kassard.
- Are you still interested in helping me change the script in the Romanian Wiktionary? I've taken a look at your guide and I understand some parts, but I am in no position to start experimenting on my own. I think I'll have to buy a book about it, maybe "**something something** for idiots" :-) If you have a bot that can change ş and ţț in every article, I can grant you bot-status. Let me know what you think and if you want to help!
- Best Regards, --Robbie SWE 11:50, 14 March 2011 (UTC)
Hello. Yes, I'm wiliing to help. Here are my thoughts. First we have to find all Romanian entries with a t/s cedilla. That's easy (see the instructions on my ro.wikt page). Then we have to exclude the entries that have a second language section, i.e. Turkish. I don't know if there are other languages using these t/s cedilla characters, so I'll need your help in that. If Turkish is the only language we have to take care about, then this step is also quite simple and we can proceed to renaming all Romanian entries by bot.
The final step is to change each and every instance of t/s cedilla in the entries' body. That will be a bit more tricky because we'll have to exclude again any Turkish (or other as well?) words, existing let's say in translations or etymologies. This is something that may need to wait a bit - we wouldn't want to mess entries up. But I think we'll find a solution. So, what do you think? Do you want me to go on with movings entries for now and wait for the rest? --flyax 13:19, 14 March 2011 (UTC)
- Thank you for your reply!
- Turkish is the only language that uses a s cedilla (Romanian was the only language using a t cedilla). I can recall boş and şah as being the only shared entries with Turkish.
- I think you can go ahead and start moving entries on the condition that they remain as redirects (I would also like to explore the possibility of creating a robot that automatically creates cedilla redirects every time an article containing the new letters is created).
- You don't have to worry about the redirects. Only sysops can bypass the creation of a redirect while moving an entry. As regards new entries, the safer will be to create them with cedillas and then move them by hand immediately, before bots find them and add interwikis.--Flyax 14 martie 2011 18:25 (UTC)
- I'm concerned about the necessary changes to entries' body: it has to be done but I don't know how to do it. Even articles in other languages containing Romanian translations have to be dealt with.
- Let me know what I can do!
- Best Regards --Robbie SWE 13:38, 14 March 2011 (UTC)
- OK. I think that by Friday I'll be ready to move (rename) the Romanian entries. --flyax 18:00, 14 March 2011 (UTC)
I gave Flubot robot status as of today.
I think it's better to use a bot for this kind of thing, so we don't swamp recent changes. You're welcome to let it start operating!
I recently received permission to use AWB; do you think it can help us convert these letters? I've only just started using it, so I haven't really acquainted myself with it yet.
Let me know how I can help!
--Robbie SWE 18 martie 2011 12:03 (UTC)
- It seems as if everything is fine. Have you experienced any glitches? I'm currently changing the special pages. --Robbie SWE 18 martie 2011 20:46 (UTC)
- Category paging in the api is sort of busted right now. There are some more pages to move but it's difficult to find them, so I'll try again tomorrow. What are you going to do with Ş, Ţ, wikţionar, categories and templates? There is also a problem with namespaces, like Wikţionar, that will need a message to Bugzilla. When I have something more, I'll let you know. --Flyax 18 martie 2011 22:03 (UTC)
- Thank you so much Flyax! I would never have been able to do this on my own! Please feel free to continue contributing in any way you think is appropriate! I'll take care of the rest in due time. Best Regards, --Robbie SWE 19 martie 2011 13:22 (UTC)